Thursday, December 31, 2009

A perfect way to close 2009

I actually have a bit of time off over this New Year's weekend, so I will be spending it visiting friends and family and enjoying the end of the year. Regular art posting will begin again either next Monday or Tuesday night, depending on how jarring the return to the work week is.

In the meantime, I wanted to share with you an incredible thing. Hannah Stephenson, who blogs at The Storialist, writes daily poems imspired by images found online. Somehow she came across this project and, inspired by my illustration for Page 115, she crafted an exquisite poem titled "Ships Set Out." You can read that poem at her blog here as well as a great deal of her other work.

One of the most fascinating things about this project to illustrate every page of Moby-Dick has been hearing from other people and learning how my endeavor has affected them, impacted them, or even inspired them. It is honestly a very humbling experience, but that contact means a great and it is especially thrilling when some small effort of mine can cause a greater reaction somewhere else. So hearing from Hannah and reading her poem was the best way to close out this year and the first 4 months of this project.

I hope you all have an exciting, peaceful, safe and happy New Year. I'll be back in a few days.

8 comments:

  1. I found your website through Hannah, and am gobsmacked. Thunderstruck. Had to sit down for a while and think.

    Good job, is all I can say. And thanks.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you coming to New Bedford next weekend for the 14th annual marathon reading of Moby Dick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hannah's poems and the one she wrote for your illustration. I'm also glad she featured you, so I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rhonda

    It's strange to be thanked for this because I am endlessly grateful for all who choose to visit this site and follow the journey. But I do appreciate it, and your comment meant a great deal to me. There are still hundreds of pages to go so I hope I can make you feel gobsmacked a time or two again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Janet

    I have a pretty tough schedule at my job so I found out about the Moby-Dick marathon a bit too late to make it out this time. However I am pretty firmly committed to coming to the next one, which I believe will be in January of 2011. Interestingly, that should coincide fairly closely with the completion of this project as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Anonymous

    Thank you, I think. The use of the word "articles" makes me worry this might be a spam comment, so if I am wrong about that I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Annie

    Hannah's poem was really truly wonderful. I am much better with images than I am with pictures so it is difficult to articulate just how amazing her poem made me feel. Being able to serve as some inspiration for something like that is truly humbling. I am also glad you found this site, and hope you will visit again while I work my way through this journey.

    ReplyDelete