Monday, March 1, 2010

Upcoming appearances

Here is where I will be...

APRIL 19, 2010 - Brooklyn, New York
On Monday, April 19, 2010 starting at 7:30 I will be giving a brief (30 to 40 minute) lecture with a bunch of slides as part of the Open City Dialogue series at Pete’s Candy Store in Brooklyn, New York. The Open City Dialogue “lectures are woven together from the common thread of people’s obsessions.”

Here is the link for the Open City Dialogue series. I'm near the bottom, just scroll down to April 19.

APRIL 24 & 25, 2010 - Columbus, Ohio
Shortly thereafter, on Saturday and Sunday, April 24 and 25, 2010, I will have a table at S.P.A.C.E., the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo at the Ramada Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, 4900 Sinclair Road, Columbus, Ohio. The show runs from 10am to 6pm on Saturday and 11am to 5pm on Sunday. It’s a pretty heavily comic oriented show, and most of the exhibitors are from Ohio or neighboring states. I hope to have a small art book ready by the show, probably just a black & white xeroxed collection of drawings with a spray-painted color cover. I believe admission to the show is something like $5 per day, but you can find out more information here.

MAY 13, 2010 - Columbus, Ohio
Finally, on Thursday, May 13, 2010, I will be one of the presenters at the 13th Pecha Kucha Columbus event. No site or time yet, but I’ll post more information as it becomes known. My slide show will be, again, images from this project with a bit of talk about how I make an illustration.

Here is some borrowed information that explains it a little better.

What is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha-Kucha Night, devised by Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Klein Dytham architecture in Tokyo, was conceived in 2003 as a place for young designers to meet, network, and show their work in public. Pecha-Kucha (which is Japanese for the sound of conversation) has tapped into a demand for a forum in which creative work can be easily and informally shown, without having to rent a gallery or chat up a magazine editor. This is a demand that seems to be global - as Pecha-Kucha Night, without any pushing, has spread virally from Tokyo to over 160 cities world-wide.

Curious? See Pecha-Kucha.org for more info.

What is the format?
As a presenter, you are allowed to share 20 slides total, and you get 20 seconds during each slide to talk. Slides should be timed… 20 slides at 20 seconds each gives you a total of 6 minutes 40 seconds to speak.


That’s all for now. If anything else comes up, I’ll post something about it.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Excellent news! I'm proud to say I work with this guy. It's always inspiring to see someone you know find real success and recognition in their chosen field. Good luck with all of them! As well, based on your program at the most recent staff day, I have faith you'll do very well. My favorite is the one regarding "obsessions" - how fascinating!

Matt Kish said...

I'm generally pretty comfortable talking about work or school in front of people, but these are so different because I will be sharing very personal art. It's very strange. I think I'll do well, and I'd like to believe I have something unique to share, but this is definitely a new experience for me. I'll keep you posted as to how they go.