Thursday, April 22, 2010

Photos from Brooklyn and Pete's Candy Store

Alright, as promised here are a few photos from my recent trip to Brooklyn and Pete's Candy Store. Complete with commentary.

Here is my first look at Pete's Candy Store...



Apparently it can get kind of loud at Pete's. We saw quite a few of these...



Wines & booze. You rarely see that first word in plural form like this...



A construction trailer near Pete's. The jokes just write themselves. Oddly enough, on this trip I was reading the graphic novel Hicksville by Dylan Horrocks, which has a main character named Dick Burger. Dick Burger? Dick Chicken?



This is the room where I would be giving my talk later that night. It was really quite interesting, looking like the interior of a train car with a stage at one end. Ian, one of the staff at Pete's, helped me put up their giant screen right on the stage...



Here is the oddly squished microphone I used. It looked like it had seen better days, but it worked just fine...






















And here is the crowd! I can't believe how many people actually came. There's around 40 people in this photo alone, and there were more in the very back. It was really wonderful, and everyone who attended was just incredibly great to me.



Here's me, on stage, at the end of the talk. I look a little red because it was kind of hot and I was super nervous. And it was kind of cold and windy that day so my face actually got a little windburned walking around Manhattan.














One girl who attended came up to me at the end and shared this incredible tattoo of Moby Dick. I've been thinking about doing something like this once I finally finish this project...






















And finally, a new friend and an old friend. First, a new friend...the amazing Aaron Cael, painter of portraits...






















And last, my very good friend Aaron M. Fitzwater who has always hated being photographed. At least by me...






















Goodbye Pete's Candy Store and goodbye Brooklyn, for now at least. No matter what happens, this was one of the best nights of my life. Thanks for everything!!!

P.S. - I hope these format okay. Sometimes, for some reason, there are big blank spaces or the words don't indent under the photos properly. Let me know if anything looks really weird and I'll look into it.

2 comments:

  1. An incredible photo blog of the moment. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Buck, I was a little nervous about posting so many photos (being weirdly and almost reclusively private and all) but the whole experience was so remarkable I had to share at least something.

    ReplyDelete