Friday, May 28, 2010

I have been mentioned...

In the past week, perhaps as a benefit of the added online visibility of this project as a result of Daryl Learn Houston inviting me to guest post at his excellent Infinite Zombies blog, I have been mentioned on several other blogs and I wanted to take note of that here. Additionally, I wanted to thank those bloggers for their encouragement. These things always mean a great deal to me.

First, on a fellow librarian's excellent map-centric blog Cartophilia, the Cartophiliac has featured two of my Queequeg illustrations and written some very kind words about me in this post here. This is a fascinating blog, especially for someone like me who is so interested in all kinds of printed ephemera, especially maps.

Second, William Terrell, the man responsible for the very appropriately named blog November In My Soul has actually created a piece of digital art that he writes is an homage to me. You can see the fine illustration in this post and I am really taken with how William has been able to collect so many disparate elements from the novel Moby-Dick and weave them together in a wonderfully simple piece. And having anyone do anything as an homage to me, well, that is obviously an incredibly humbling thing. I certainly don't feel worthy of any homages, but the kindness is very appreciated.

Third, Wes and Stephanie Vander Lugt, two Americans living, working and studying theology in Scotland have a blog called Reflaction, a portmanteau of the words "reflect" and "act." They somehow found out about this project and, all the way from the other side of the Atlantic, penned some encouraging words about me in this post. Thank you Wes and Stephanie.

I include these things not because I am smitten with the attention I receive and well on my way to becoming an insufferable art diva. Quite the opposite, really. When I decided to post these illustrations online, in a blog, it was simply so that I could share the art with friends and family out of state who might never get to see it otherwise. Since then, far more people than I ever would have dreamed have found out about it, sent me emails, left me comments, and mentioned me on their own sites and blogs. That has been an almost bewildering experience in so many ways. I have been astounded at the level of kindness and encouragement from so many total strangers. And I never had any idea anyone would be interested in something I was making, especially since I would have done this same thing if all alone on a deserted island. I post these things because I really do want to thank those who take time out of their lives to write a bit about me and point people toward this project. It means an awful lot, and it makes me smile.

Alright, I had hoped to have a new post up on the Infinite Zombies blog this afternoon but time has intervened and I need to get to work on the art. Look for both of those things tomorrow some time.

4 comments:

Dave said...

This is a really fabulous project, and I am in jaw-dropped admiration of the vision expressed in the art in response to Melville's masterpiece. Also, you might have seen reflections on your work on this blog: http://faith-theology.blogspot.com/2010/05/moby-dick-drawing-day.html (where I learned of your project). Cheers!

wsvanderlugt said...

I'm glad that you saw that I posted about your work, Matt, which I think is wonderful! I have been reading Real Presences by George Steiner, in which he articulates that the best interpretation of art is art, and your work on Moby Dick is a perfect example of the "performative understanding" that Steiner advocates. I look forward to seeing more work as it unfolds!

-Wes

Matt Kish said...

Dave, thank you so much for mentioning that! I had seen that entry and made a note of it so I could included it, but I lost it and couldn't for the life of me track it down again. I will amend that in the next posting.

Matt Kish said...

Wes, those are kind words, many thanks. I am not at all familiar with George Steiner and am sadly not very well-versed in any real deeper fundamental understanding of the creative process. I am often torn about this because I feel that on one hand that kind of inquiry might lead to greater self knowledge. On the other hand, the way I work now is so direct, immediate, intuitive and raw that I worry I might lose that vision. So much to consider.