Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Infinite Zombies 'Moby-Dick' group read

I’ve been invited to participate in a rather fascinating online group read of the novel Moby-Dick, the discussion of which will appear at the group’s Wordpress blog Infinite Zombies. The group includes a writer / copy editor, a librarian (not me), someone who works in a museum, and a few more interesting characters. We’ll be reading the entire novel in 6 weeks and all members are invited to post blog entries dealing with their thoughts, questions, theories, reactions, and anything else that comes to mind.

Most of my posts will, of course, be centered on this illustration project of mine, but since the Infinite Zombies blog is very text heavy, I’ll have the opportunity to really dig down and share a lot of what was going on in my head for some of my favorite illustrations. I’m excited about this.

You can follow the entire blog here, and it is updated frequently, often more than once a day. My first entry, an introduction to this project, is here. I’ll make sure I add something to my blog each time I’ve got a new post up over there so you can take a look. I plan on posting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next 6 weeks. Also of note is a fantastic interview with the poet Dan Beachy-Quick which you should check out(this one’s for you, Scott B!).

The level of quality writing at Infinite Zombies is incredibly impressive, and I feel a little out of place there since the other participants are doing some really intriguing critical inquiry. Still, for anyone at all interested in Melville and Moby-Dick, this is essential, deeply entertaining and informative reading, so I urge you all to take a look when you can. If you've ever found yourself thinking "I sure wish Matt Kish would write more in his blog, I really want to know what's going on inside his head when he makes these illustrations" than Infinite Zombies is just the blog for you. Many thanks to blog proprietor Daryl Learn Houston for inviting me to be a part of this.

I’ll leave this post up for most of the day. The next illustration will appear later tonight, at the magic hour. You should be able to figure out when that is.

2 comments:

  1. I just added Infinite Zombies to my RSS reader. it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Lulu. There is some really great stuff on that blog, and there have been very frequent updates which is nice. I hope I can keep up with them all and give them something unique to look at.

    ReplyDelete