Thursday, June 10, 2010

A question for anyone out there with tech / blog knowledge

I moderate all of the comments on this blog, but only to weed out spammers. Any comment from a real person that is about this project, my art, Moby-Dick, me, or anything related to those topics will get posted, no matter how critical or kind it is.

I do get quite a lot of spam comments though, and they've been increasing in frequency. They don't bother me, it's very easy to just screen them and click the "reject" button. But I've been noticing a really strange pattern and I can't figure out why it's happening.

I average about one spam comment a day. For the last 4 or 5 months, a full 90% of these spam comments have been left for either page 044 or page 108. It's weird. The spam comments are almost always for those posts only.

Does anyone out there know why those two posts seem to get the avalanche of spam while the rest of the blog is relatively untouched? It's not urgent, but I find it very curious and I'd love to know. Please either leave a comment (ha!) or email me the answer. Many thanks.

2 comments:

  1. This is an educated guess, but i'd bet you have a higher number of incoming links to those two pages compared to others. Most spambots crawl for links into known blog-service page hierarchy and look for comment forms on those pages.

    It's hard to say for sure without data-usage from your site itself, but I'd guess that those two posts have more direct links to them than others.

    I'll keep poking around to confirm that theory, though.

    Oh, and long-time fan, first-time commenter. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tiff, that seems to make a lot of sense. I actually don't spend any time at all looking at traffic or data usage, mostly because I think it will have a bad effect on me mentally. It will either freak me out to see a lot of people visiting, or crush me if there is hardly any. Either way, it's best for me to just keep my head down and work on the art.

    The traffic thing makes sense though. In December 2009 this blog was mentioned on BoingBoing which really seemed to bring a lot of new people. I believe their posting might have linked to page 108. That seems familiar to me somehow.

    In any case, thanks for shedding some light on this. And for visiting, and especially for the kind words about the project. They are all appreciated.

    ReplyDelete