Friday, July 23, 2010

About page 317...

The illustration I made for page 317 is a direct homage to an illustration from the Big Little abridged paperback edition of Moby-Dick that I had when I was 9 or 10. That was the first time I had ever read anything connected with Moby-Dick and that little book, as well as many of the incredible illustrations, made a deep and lasting impression on me. I had thought the book lost for all time, and since I didn't know the exact title, nor did I have the ISBN, I gave up searching for it.

Fortunately, soon after starting this blog, new friend Scott B. down in Georgia mentioned he had a copy of the book and would send it my way. Flipping through that little book was an amazing experience, and I truly felt like a little kid all over again.

Here is the incredible illustration from that book that inspired my own piece for page 317...

2 comments:

  1. Great to see the levels of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many inspirations some times it is difficult for me to even trace some of them back. But this little book and a handful of the illustrations from it have been lodged in my mind for decades. This is truly the seed from which this project grew.

    ReplyDelete