Monday, July 12, 2010

I have been mentioned (addendum)

The Abbot of Unreason, a blogger and self-described "tenth-generation American," has also mentioned me in this very kind post. He seems to be contemplating a similar project, described by him (very accurately, I think) as a "challenge," to create a per-page illustration or series of illustrations for a specific book. He invites his readers to suggest titles in his comments section, and there have been some interesting and rather unorthodox responses.

It's really kind of exciting and gratifying to read that this project of mine might spur similar visual explorations for others. As The Abbot mentioned, it certainly brings the reader much much closer to the literature. I don't know if I will ever get thoughts of Moby-Dick out of my head now.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, Thanks for the mention! My project has finally kicked off here: http://everypageapainting.blogspot.com/ . I picked Frankenstein. It is shorter both than Moby Dick and my original choice (Don Quixote), but it's still a rich source for an engineer and sometime SF writer. I've found I'm very, very slow, so I'm initially releasing every second day. (I was impressed by your work before, but now that I'm trying, I'm even more impressed.)

    Good luck as you head down the home stretch. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, apologies for the delay in responding to this comment. It came just as I was heading to San Diego for a work conference, and these days every spare second that I am not working is spent in the closet drawing the final pages to this project.

    Your project looks fascinating and I am in absolute awe of your skill as a painter. I can't believe you have been able to produce such amazing illustrations in such a short amount of time, and with paint. Brilliant stuff! I will put up a new blog post some time in the next week about your project amd hopefully be able to send a few more visitors your way. Very best of luck on your own person journey through "Frankenstein."

    ReplyDelete