Monday, August 16, 2010

It's time

Tomorrow, I am going to begin a vacation. This will be the first true vacation time off I've taken in over two years. Yes, I have traveled to other cities and states quite a bit in those two years, but in every single case it has been for my day job (i.e. to conferences and workshops) or, in the case of my trip to Brooklyn in April of this year, to promote this project. So even though I did spend a day walking around Manhattan with my wife, the prior day was almost entirely devoted to my presentation. In short, it still felt like a working trip.

So I'm leaving tomorrow with my wife and going someplace very far away and very hot. My wife has expressly, and quite wisely, forbidden me from bringing any art supplies, sketchbooks, found paper, or copies of Moby-Dick. We won't be bringing our laptop nor will we have access to the internet. I'm probably not even going to bring my cell phone. In short, I will be doing very little beyond laying flat on my back under the scorching sun, staring up at the clear blue sky as the hours drift away, sleeping, swimming around a bit, eating some delightful meals with my wife and thinking about absolutely nothing. It's been so very long that honestly I've completely forgotten what any of that feels like.

Charles Schulz, the man behind the comic strip "Peanuts," once said something to the effect that working against a daily deadline felt a lot like constantly running down the tracks in front of a train. And he's absolutely right.

If all goes well, you probably won't notice I'm gone. At least for a while. I finished some art well ahead of time, scanned the images, and scheduled them to be automatically posted while I am away. I won't be able to moderate the blog comments or answer emails until I return, but I really think that's okay.

I expect to be back some time next week. Until then...

4 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

Enjoy the time off! So important.

Titus said...

You deserve this! Have a fabulous time, and forget for a while.

voicenovoice said...

have a wonderful time - or welcome home, as the case may be... as for page 348 i just discovered: man, you make that flesh look so scrumptuous! i've been wondering what page/s i'd put my name on for when you part with them - that may be one...
reminds me of this quote:
"When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage
by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s
suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful."
-- Barbara Bloom

Matt Kish said...

Hello Lizzy, I am back now. Thank you for the compliments on page 348 as well. I was a bit uncertain as to how that one would turn out. One of the few where I started work on the piece without having really visualized what I wanted it to look like. I actually stopped about halfway through, and was originally going to fill the entire page with color. Something about the way the black and white lines looked against the bright colors called to mind Marimekko fabrics and I wisely left it as it was.

That Barbara Blook quote is absolutely brilliant, by the way. I've really come to feel that way as I get older, and things that once seemed like flaws to me in my own possessions now seem like beautiful stories.