Friday, November 12, 2010

News about (older) art for sale

I finally figured out a better way to sell some of my art. Before, the “shop” was just a page on my web site that had images of the art, the dimensions, media, a price, and a link to email me if you were interested in buying. That led to all sorts of problems since on multiple occasions I had to turn people down because a piece had already been claimed but I had not fixed that page to reflect that the piece was no longer available. That troubled me more than you may know.

I needed a solution though, and I found a good one. I now have an online shop at Etsy.com which you can see right here. At the moment, there are only two pieces of art for sale. Both are several years old and predate this Moby-Dick project by quite some time. Oddly enough, these are the only pieces of my non-Moby-Dick art that I have left, other than the comics I drew many years ago. It feels both bittersweet and liberating to put these up for sale. I held on to them so long because they are two of my favorites.

The beauty of this Etsy shop of mine is that the process of buying is very simple, and once a piece is purchased, it disappears from the shop automatically. No more confused explanations, no more sending disappointing emails, no more looking like a huckster.

4 comments:

  1. I discovered the other day that you had replaced the art for sale page with an etsy shop (incidentally, you might want to put the old page back up with a link to the etsy shop for people who may have the page itself bookmarked) and had already added its feed to my feed reader. The feed thing may be a nice compromise, since it's a way to passively announce when you add new stuff without feeling like you're shouting for sales from your blog. I'm curious if there's a reason you haven't posted any of your old comics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really would suggest flagging it up on the blog. This may, of course, be my self-interest talking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daryl, thank you for the comments and the advice, that is very sound. I am actually not sure if I can put the old shop page back up because I deleted that bit of HTML and am not sure if I can remember what the URL for the old shop would have been.

    I didn't know Etsy allowed for feeds but that is indeed very good news and allows me to nicely sidestep the issue. Relief!

    The comics question is a funny one, and something that I could write quite a bit about. For brevity's sake, I will simply say a few things. First, I don't think my comics are really very good. I mean, I like them, and I really did try my very hardest to make good comics, but I don't think I have much talent along those lines. Because of that, I'm just not sure anyone would want to pay even $5 or $10 for a page or two from a comic that I made. I have some friends who are brilliantly talented comics artists and who have made pages much larger and much more beautiful than anything I have ever done, and they struggle to sell their original pages for $20 which, to me, seems criminally underpriced for what they've made.

    The second reason is that my comics are oddly personal and I think more evocative for me of certain times and occurrences in my own life. That's not the case with all of them, but with some of them, selling pages would feel a bit like selling my memories.

    Maybe some day, when this "Moby-Dick" project is complete I'll post a few pages on the blog as examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titus, I appreciate the honesty and the suggestion very much. I think for now I will rely on the feed that Etsy provides and perhaps post something on the blog if I add a significant amount of art to the Etsy shop. And of course, I will always post something on this blog if there is to be a gallery show, exhibition, or sale of the actual "Moby-Dick" art itself.

    ReplyDelete