Friday, December 31, 2010

The end begins...

As I write this, I am about to begin illustrating chapter 133, "The Chase - First Day." Finally, after dozens and dozens of chapters and hundreds and hundreds of pages, Ahab sights the White Whale and the awful, nihilistic climax begins.

Three chapters are left to illustrate. Three days, in the novel, of brutality and death. 31 more illustrations (for me to create, although you visitors still have 51 yet to see), and then this project is finally finished.

I'm not sure how I feel at all right now, so I won't bother to try and put it into words. This year is dying and the next will see the end of this project and the beginning of many other things.

I'm going to pause on the first day of the new year. There will be no posts and I am not yet sure if I will even draw. After that, it will be one more plunge into the bloody pages of the book and there will be no stopping until the epilogue is concluded. But for now, a pause, a moment to gather my wits and catch my breath, and then one long sustained final stab at the Whale.

2 comments:

James Calentino said...

Hey Matt, just wanted to commend you on the Herculean effort here. I'm an Illustration major with a pretty deep-seated love for Moby-Dick, and I can really appreciate the gravity of your having reached the "Chase" chapters. Well done, can't wait to see how you close things out.

Matt Kish said...

Thank you very much James, it has really been a strange journey. I have tried as hard as I possibly could not to psych myself out too much for these final chapters, but the pressure to excel is almost suffocating at this point. I just have to give myself some time to stretch out the inner eyes and remember that I got this far following my own vision of the book, and that's how I need to complete it.