Sunday, March 6, 2011

Upcoming appearances and the Solar Brothers

Well, it's not exactly Moby-Dick related, nor is it my next project, but I will have a table at the Columbus, Ohio Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo, or S.P.A.C.E. on Saturday March 19th and Sunday March 20th. I've actually been tabling at S.P.A.C.E. for many years now, going all the way back to 2003. I used to make my own comic, called Spudd 64, and in a strange sort of way that's what eventually led me here.

This time around though, I'll have the third volume of a small, handmade art book series I've been doing for the last two years. It's called The Solar Brothers and this will be the third and final volume. It's really just a collection of strange drawings, things I imagine I would see if I could travel to other suns. The whole thing is handmade with cardstock covers that I spraypaint myself, xeroxed interiors, and hand-sewn (by my wonderful wife) Japanese stab bindings. I believe some of you reading this post might have a copy of volume 2 because I sent a few of those out to people that bought some of my art in the last year. Here are some photos of that volume, and this should give you a pretty solid idea of what volume 3 will look like.

First, the cover. What looks like white, or silver, is actually a lovely metallic bronze spraypaint...

The title page. One of the only things I made with the assistance of a computer...

One of the drawings...

And the back cover...


Admission to S.P.A.C.E. is $5 per day, or $8 for both days, so if you're in the Columbus area and want to visit me, stop in and say hello. I promise to regale you with all sorts of stories about this last year and give you some inside info on the upcoming Moby-Dick art book. I'll have a bunch of copies of the new "Solar Brothers" zine for sale, and a lot of non-Moby-Dick art, drawings, paintings and original comic art for sale for pretty cheap.

6 comments:

Tony said...

You know I would love a copy. I'll try to visit you at the convention!

steve said...

Hey Matt, I need to congratulate you on the completion of your Moby Dick project, as well as this Solar Brothers series! Wish I could make it to SPACE- never gone before. My friend Matt D. who tables there every year, and runs DC Conspiracy will be there. I should give him some cash and ask him to pick me up some of your work. Best of luck!

Matt Kish said...

Sweet T, you know I'll set aside a copy for you. It will be a pleasure to hand it to you, whether it's at SPACE or lunch somewhere. I hope all is well with you. I worry sometimes.

Matt Kish said...

Steve, thank you very much. Sometimes it seems like a long time ago, sometimes it seems like just yesterday. Still, I'm proud of what I did.

SPACE is a lot of fun but like all small press shows, a weirdly mixed bag. The good part of that is that there is always something for everyone though. Tell you friend Matt to swing by and say hello at least, I always enjoy meeting new people at SPACE.

Tony said...

Sweet! You know, some of your readers might want to know what the cost will be for your book too. :)

Titus said...

Brilliant! Have a great time.