Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Venti" shortlisted for the Callum Macdonald Award

Scottish poet JoAnne McKay, who was kind enough to include some of my Moby-Dick illustrations in her most recent and thoroughly amazing poetry collection Venti, emailed me to let me know that Venti has been shortlisted for the Callum Macdonald Memorial Award ward for poetry pamphlets! The poet whose work wins is awarded a rather nice sum of money and may also serve as the Michael Marks Poet in Residence for two weeks in July at Harvard University’s summer school in Greece. This is wonderful news!

While it was very sweet of JoAnne to tell me that my illustrations were a part of what makes Venti such a fantastic collection, the truth is that her words are what really matter here and if she wins this award it will be entirely due to her tremendous gifts as a poet. I will keep you posted as to how things go, so keep your fingers crossed for JoAnne and Venti, and if you are interested in learning more about Venti, which is a truly gorgeous handmade book, you can read about it on JoAnne's blog here and you can order a copy as well.

3 comments:

  1. First time I've ever been called sweet!
    Thanks Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I'm a bit embarrassed now. I truly meant that as a description of your warmth and kindness, and not at all as some kind of weirdly perjorative diminution of your stature as an artist and poet. And I especially didn't use it just because you're a woman. It would have been sweet from either gender. But really, it was awfully nice of you to say that and I hope this summer I'll be getting an email from your room in the sunny Greek Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a criticism! Just sweet.

    ReplyDelete