Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Everybody wins!

After a lot of soul-searching, I’ve come to the conclusion that the world of galleries is just an uncomfortable fit for me. I do realize just how much a good gallery and gallery representation can do for an artist, but for a lot of personal reasons, it just doesn’t feel like the right thing for me to do. Because of this, there will not be any gallery shows for these Moby-Dick pieces.

However, this is actually a very good thing, for me and for everyone, I think. First, I feel a lot better and a lot more at peace with this decision, and peace of mind is worth more than anything. Second, I will be able to share and even sell more of this art in ways that I feel more comfortable using, and hopefully to the many people who have visited this blog since the early days of the project and encouraged me every step of the way. Many of the really good pieces that I had set aside for gallery shows are now available to anyone, and a few of the pieces that had been originally claimed were never paid for so they're back. So let me know if there is a piece you’ve had your eye on and I'll take a look.

The art book comes out on October 11, so leading up to that date, I will be adding 10 to 20 random illustrations from the Moby-Dick series to my Etsy shop every 2 weeks or so. I am hoping that most of those will sell down so that the shop doesn’t get cluttered with too much art, but we’ll see. I’m still not sure how in-demand these pieces are. I decided to add a wide and random assortment of pieces from the series so that there will always be a lot of different facets from the book represented on the shop. That way, if you were looking for an early piece showing Ishmael, you should be able to find that, but if you wanted a portrait of Ahab or an image of whaling, you should be able to find that too.

I’ll probably post something on this blog each time a new batch of pieces go up in the shop. Once the book is out, I’ll be adding more and more pieces each week for anyone new who just found out about the project. Plus, it’s always a lot cooler when you can say you own a piece of art that’s in a real art book, I think. Even if you don’t visit this blog regularly, I think Etsy allows for some kind of RSS feed to notify people when new pieces are added to a favorite seller’s shop, but I’m not sure how to set that up. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I’m still very very new to this, so please forgive me if I stumble a bit while I try and get this all ironed out. I want to be as fair as I can to everyone, and I definitely want my art to go to good homes. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or advice. I’ll be happy to answer anything, and I could probably use a bit of guidance now and them.

Okay, the first batch of pieces is up in the shop so go take a look!

4 comments:

  1. So exciting! I've been following/lurking for a while and absolutely fell in love with this project. I'm thrilled that I can pick up some of your pieces on etsy! Also, do you happen to sell any prints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been asked about prints a few times, so I know I should really figure out a way to do it, but I don't currently have any for sale. My main worries in making prints of my work are that I donn't quite have the technological know-how to turn a digital image into a nice looking print, and that since almost all of these pieces are on found paper from old books and maps it is almost impossible to get a clean smooth scan. Often the paper is just slightly warped or off-kilter enough that a scan throws a few slight shadows on the image, and with so much detail I've not yet been able to fully clean that up.

    I hope that's not too disappointing, but I will be selling most of the pieces at what I hope are pretty inexpensive prices for originals so hopefully that's actually a bit better than a print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a bad man, Matt, and your name is temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonsense Titus! I think my art is simply longing to hang on a wall in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete