Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ann Weaver, Knitter

One of the great joys of this Moby-Dick illustration project has been sharing the work with so many other people interested in, and inspired by, Melville's great novel. I knew that quite a few brilliant artists had plumbed the depths of the work in the past, but I was quite surprised at how many current creators were still drawing from the same well.

Knitter Ann Weaver is one of them, and she is crafting some of the most unique and intriguing Moby-Dick-inspired art I have ever seen. What completely stunned me is that she contacted me to let me know that some of my own illustrations had sparked her own ideas, and that she had knitted pieces based on what I had done. Honestly, I can think of no greater compliment than to learn that my own art fuelled the creative drive of another artist, and after seeing what Ann has made, I am almost speechless. This stuff is truly like magic to me.

Ann was kind enough to share some photos of her new creations with me, and to grant me permission to post them on this blog. First, here is Ann's Castaway Hat...


Next, her Lamp cowl, based on the whale-oil lamps and my piece illustrating that...


And finally, an absolutely gorgeous piece based on the try-works of the whaling ships, where the whale blubber is rendered down into oil. This photo shows the detailing from behind...


Ann's blog is constantly fascinating and endlessly entertaining, and even though I don't think I have ever even touched a knitting needle, I find myself visiting quite often. I quite liked this particular quote from Ann...

I am thinking that my knitting will become more and more conceptual until it has no audience whatsoever. Things seem to be heading that way!

I've had almost those exact same thoughts about my own art, so it was heartening to read that an artist as accomplished and gifted as Ann is interested in pursuing some of those same ideas.

Okay, more on Ann's Moby-Dick inspired creations in this post, Ann's blog (which you should really be following) here, and Ann's site, where you can learn more about her and purchase her books and patterns here.

No comments: