Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My art in Illinois...

Blogger (his blog bears the fantastic name Imagined Icebergs which I love!) and educator Dan T. in Illinois was one of the very first people to purchase some of the art from this project, and he has posted some photos of the art framed and hanging on his walls in this post here. If you follow that link, you'll see a few iterations of Queequeg, including the the very first image I ever drew of that tattooed harpooneer, all in their new home. There is also an interesting story about another piece Dan was interested in that had been claimed, as a surprise for Dan, by his partner. I remember at first being really confused by the fact that I was shipping two packages of art to two different names, both at the same address, and quadruple-checking my records out of a sense of terror that I would send something to the wrong place. It all worked out though.

Best of all for me, though, was seeing this image...


...my drawing of Stubb eating "the whale by its own light" which Dan has framed and hung over a copy of the Codex Seraphinianus! That book is like a Holy Grail to me, and I would gladly trade just about any piece of art I have ever made for a good copy of it! I have been coveting a long look at that book ever since I first heard about it, and have yet to see anything of it beyond a few images online. It is a real honor, and a curious bit of synchronicity, to have my art framed and hanging near a copy of it.

Many thanks for sharing, Dan!

3 comments:

Imagined Icebergs said...

Happy to share! We love the art and are really delighted to have it up on the walls.

That Weird White Guy said...

Your art on our walls is a constant source of inspiration for us. Sometimes, I just go into that room and stare at them. Friends always ask about them in admiration and we love telling the story of your project and how we came to own these pieces. We can't wait to have your book on our coffee table!

Matt Kish said...

Thank you both, for the very kind words. I say this often but it bears repeating...it means a great deal to me to be able to share my art with people that I can actually come to know, even in some small way. The emails we've shared, these comments, the blog posts, and the shared love of the Codex Seraphinianus...all of those things do my heart great good and make parting with my precious drawings, which I love like brothers, much easier to bear.