Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Something like a book plate, maybe?

Yesterday, someone who had recently purchased Moby-Dick in Pictures but lived very far away from me here in Ohio and very far away from any of the appearances I would be making for the book emailed me to ask if I would send him something he could paste in his book as a kind of personal note or dedication. I thought that was a fantastic idea so I replied and told him I would be happy to draw him a small picture and write something as well so that he could attach it to his copy and have something a bit more unique and personal. This is something I would like to do for anyone who asks, really, so if you've purchased a copy of my book and would like me to send you some kind of drawing or note you can attach to one of the front pages, I would be happy to. I can't promise anything extravagant, but it will be good and it will be unique. I am searching for blank bookplates because it would be ideal if these could simply be adhesed into the front cover, but if my search is fruitless these will simply be small drawings on paper that you can paste or glue in yourself.

If you'd like something like this, send me an email with your address and let me know. Also, let me know if you'd like anything in particular. Obviously, there is no charge at all for this, and it is something I am happy to do for those who've put faith in me and bought the book.

5 comments:

  1. Matt,
    Where are we able to purchase a copy of the book from that would ensure that you could include a small dedication or sketch with it?
    Please let me know, as it sounds a brilliant idea and I'd really love to have something such as this with my copy of this wonderful project.
    Thanks very much,
    Laurie Laker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laurie. This one is a bit of a poser. What would be simplest by far would be for me to create some small drawings which I could then mail to people for them to paste in their copies of the books. I'm not certain how me sending out signed and drawn in copies of the book would work, especially for non-U.S. mailing addresses. I suppose it would be possible for someone to purchase a copy of the book and have it delivered to me first so that I could draw in it. I would then have to mail the book to that person and, since the book is exceptionally heavy, I would unfortunately have to charge for shipping. I worry that the costs would get unaffordable for shipping outside of the U.S.

    I'm still thinking that mailing a simple drawing is the best idea, but please don't hesitate to let me know if you've got other suggestions. I would be happy to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt,
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I'm planning on buying my copy of the book in the next week or so, and would really love a small, signed, drawing which I could tape, glue, or adhere to the inside cover - as you say.
    I can email you, if you'd like. Obviously, I'd be happy to pay for any charges necessary. Your work deserves it.
    Let me know how best to go about starting this process.
    Thanks again,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, just go ahead and email me your address. Even across the ocean, I can't imagine that the postage will be prohibitively expensive for me, so I would be honored to simply mail you the drawing as a gift. It means a lot to me that so many people are interested in the book, and this is something that I very much like to do to show my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete