Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Beehive Books photos

Last Thursday, October 20, I had a fantastic time doing a book talk and a signing at Beehive Books in Delaware, Ohio. Beehive is a true independent bookstore, but it is by no means small. It's a gorgeous space in a really great little town with a fantastically friendly and helpful staff, lots of unique titles, and plenty of chairs to relax in while you browse.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the evening since this entire book publicity thing has been a completely new experience to me. The weather was actually fairly lousy that night as well, with rain on and off, high winds, and some unseasonably cold temperatures. Mel Corroto, the owner of Beehive, welcomed my wife and I warmly and plenty of people came out to listen to me talk. After, I signed and drew in their books for another few hours and headed home, tired but thankful. Here are a few photos from the event.

My first view of the store, from the street. I am quite fond of their logo...


This is what you see as soon as you walk in their front door. It's really a nice space...


Out back there is this astounding mural, full of bits of glass, mirrors, tiles, colors...it's almost impossible to describe. And it is huge, wrapping around most of the building. Here are a few shots...



The space next door to Beehive is currently empty, waiting for something called the Global Gallery to move in. So for now, Beehive is using it as their "annex" to host events and other things. That is where my talk would be, as indicated by the signs...


And this is how it all looked before everyone arrived...


Me, practicing my talk. I didn't have a projector so I was unable to show any art on the wall, but I did bring some to pass around and show people since it was such a close and personal experience.


And here is one of the many displays of my book, with one of Beehive's flyers for the event...


The crowd fills in. There were a lot of people there! Almost every single chair was filled, and Mel had to bring in a few more every 5 minutes at first...


Off I go, talking about the project...


After the talk, I drew a picture in everyone's book...



And then I drew in a big stack of the books that Mel had for the shelves...


Very tired after the long evening. It was a work day, after all...


Mel and her staff very kindly presented me with this beautiful little art book, a collection of Moby-Dick inspired pieces that were shown in a recent gallery show. What is amazing is that I was literally one click away from ordering this book myself while I was working on my own project, but I didn't want what I saw to influence me too much so I passed, reluctantly. It was very kind of them to give this to me.


I can't say enough good things about Beehive Books. They treated me fantastically well, and the store really is well worth the trip and hours of browsing. I'm looking forward to going back there myself since I saw quite a few titles I was interested in. If you are ever anywhere near Delaware, Ohio (just north of Columbus) stop in. They'll take good care of you.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking bookshop, great looking event. But best of all, great looking jumper! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt!
    A voice from your past!
    CONGRATS on your book!! I love the video you posted above in your blog.
    Dave Cotton

    ReplyDelete