Monday, October 31, 2011

Books by the Banks 2011 photos

I spent last Saturday, October 22, as a guest at Cincinnati's wonderful Books by the Banks festival. This was a first for me as I had never been to anything quite like this, but everyone treated me very kindly. The festival ran from 10am to 4pm and admission was free, so there was quite a crowd. I had a 30 minute lunch break at 11:30 (which was shortened to about 4 minutes since I was happily signing and drawing in copies of my book for people who came out) and I was one of four guests on the "Re-inventing the Classics" panel from noon to 1pm. The rest of the time, I drew until it felt like my arm was going to fall off.

As is generally the case, the afternoon was documented in pictures. Here they are. First, the large sign with the layout of the room and my table assignment. I was at table 26 with a new friend, the mystery writed Dan Andriacco...



And here is the banner for the whole thing. See, I'm used to sitting behind tables at small press comic shows which usually have hastily xeroxed signs taped or stapled to any available surface. Don't get me wrong, I do love those shows very much and that's where my heart will always be, but it was impressive to be a part of something like this that had a big budget and was very slickly handled...


Me, by the banner...


And me, by the banner with my patented Warrior Face...


I got there quite a bit early, as you can tell...


The panel rundown...


And a terrifying close-up of me, with the panel rundown behind my head...


I didn't understand this sign at first. "Meet the authors. Have books signed. Buy books." I always thought you were supposed to buy books and THEN have them signed. Later, I realized that everyone was free to wander around the author room, pick up as many books as they wanted, and then to pay on the way out after chatting with the authors...


Here is my table, waiting for my arrival. I believe that Books by the Banks is handled almost entirely by the fine folks at Cincinnati's Joseph Beth Booksellers and it was so nice to be able to just show up to a table that had already been set up and stocked for me. They did a phenomenal job with this whole affair...


Me, ready to go...


And me with my tablemate Dan Andriacco. He makes a bowtie look goooood...


Up near the front of the room, my wife found this display with copies of my book and a cool Moby-Dick bag...


Here is me, thrilled to be on a panel...


At one point, I was actually gently admonished by another one of the panel members for paging through my own book while someone talked. Apparently I wasn't paying close enough attention or something. Reinventing the classics!!!

Anyway, me answering an audience member's question...


Part of the audience...


Talking to folks at the end of the panel...


And talking to folks at my table...


Drawing in someone's copy of my book...


I was amazed at how many copies of my book I sold. I'm very proud of it, and I think the price is very reasonable, but it is not an inexpensive book. So many people bought it right there though that I was just stunned. Near the end of the day, there were very few copies left...


On the floor next to me was a stack of hardcover copies. I started the day with 17 hardcovers and ended with just these four...


All in all, I had a great time, and I owe a big debt of thanks to Howard Cohen, Joseph Beth Booksellers, and everyone at Books by the Banks. Thanks for having me!

2 comments:

  1. Best shot definitely the 'I can't believe I'm here' panel shot.

    It is so nice to read, and see, all the successes the book is having. Hats off to you, agent and publisher! Brilliant stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very perceptive, Titus. I have generally been in the "I can't believe I'm here" mindset for this entire time.

    ReplyDelete