Thursday, April 26, 2012

Me on the radio

Yesterday I drove to Yellow Springs, Ohio to spend some time at WYSO, a public radio station based there. I would be having a long conversation with Dick Gordon of The Story, another public radio station operating out of the University of North Carolina. We spent quite a bit of time talking about Moby-Dick, our first experiences with the story, what led me to my project and so on. I believe the entire thing will be edited together and broadcast in North Carolina, but perhaps also made available online. I'll post something if that happens.

The folks at WYSO treated me very well even though they were in the middle of moving the entire radio station to a completely new facility. Everything around me had that half-finished feel, and the whole place was delightfully chaotic. I've been trying to get into the habit of taking small scale, personal photos of these experiences to record my impressions and hopefully preserve the memories a bit. And I like the idea of offering these on the blog without commentary. So here are a few of my images of WYSO in transition.










After the interview, my wife and I stopped in at Yellow Springs' own Dark Star Books. I had been there years ago, but was anxious to browse their dusty stacks of comics and science fiction paperbacks again. Not surprisingly, I came away with a stack of gems which I was thrilled to find.

This one, Chamiel by Edward Pearson, brought back very powerful and visceral memories for me. I remember seeing and holding this book many many times in the 1980s when I would regularly haunt the stacks of Booksellers, a used bookstore in Elyria, Ohio. I hadn't seen this cover in decades, so I had to snatch it up. Now I wonder if the book will be any good...


Not my favorite cover (how are those bears attached to the sled anyway?) but a good one by Frazetta. And I've always liked the haunted, icy, desperate and desolate tone of this book...


A quartet of Corum novels by Michael Moorcock, with gorgeous covers by David McCall Johnston. I've been looking for these for a long time...





A surreal, day-glo Elric collection, also from Moorcock...


This seemed to be a David McCall Johnston-themed day as I also found this one, by author Richard Monaco, which contains black and white spot illustrations by Johnston as well as a beautiful cover. I haven't read it so I don't know if it is any good, but the cover alone intrigued me, plus...knights!


A trio of early, and treasured by me, Marvel graphic novels from the 1980s...




And finally, I can never ever pass up on cheap Jack Kirby comics. I already have this issue in my Eternals Omnibus and I have it again in my Jack Kirby's Eternals two volume trade paperback, but this was the original! And only $3!


Pure bliss!

15 comments:

RF said...

WALNUT
GRAINED
VINYL
VENEER

Mike V. Scholtz said...

There's a special place in my heart for Jim Starlin. And there's a very special place for Dreadstar.

Kyle said...

Congrats dude! That's really rad. I never listen to the radio, but when I do it's tuned to WYSO. I don't watch TV so WYSO and NYT on iPad is the only way I find out about anything that isn't like on a terror level.

I didn't see a link to a recording of the interview? Surely this exists!

Matt Kish said...

RF, sometimes it is truly terrifying how well you grasp my intentions.

Matt Kish said...

Mike Scholtz! Such a true and genuine pleasure to hear from you again! I was actually thinking about how nice Fargo would be when the temperature is not, you know, like one degree or something and that I should bring my wife back to that lovely hotel for a weekend.

And yes! Your comment does much to stoke my already high esteem for you. Starlin is a gem. His run on "Warlock" remains, for me, maybe the high point in comics EVER.

Matt Kish said...

Thanks Kyle! Oddly, the interviewer was in North Carolina, so WYSO recorded my voice and WUNC recorded his. There will be some editing of the two, and eventually something will be made available. I'll make sure I post it when I know where to find it.

Joe Kuth said...

That's quite a haul Matt, love love love those Johnston covers! And Chamiel looks intriguing, I don't know anything about that.

I had some Warlock issues when I was a kid, but that's all that I've read by Starlin as far as I know. That Dreadstar really looks great, I may try to borrow that from you soon.

Matt Kish said...

Joe, my library is your library so any time. I'm anxious to see how well the Dreadstar stuff holds up. I remember absolutely loving it as a teen, but some of Starlin's more recent stuff has been disappointingly corporate.

You should try the Killraven too. Gorgeous art from P. Craig Russell and a surprisingly deep and melancholy story.

Irene said...

Matt, I caught the tail end of your interview on the radio recently and I was so interested! I've tried to find it online but can't find it. Do you have a link to it? Btw, LOVE your illustrations! I have family that lives in Yellowsprings (Palassis) and I'm married to an artist (Jonathan Queen) and live in Cincinnati.

Matt Kish said...

Hello Irene, and thank you very much for the kind words. I believe you can both download and stream that interview I did at this link here. If that doesn't work, leave me another comment and I'll see if I can email them and find a better one.

Irene said...

It worked! Thank you so much for the link! I listened with my husband who just finished a huge 5 story mural in downtown Cincinnati. He totally felt like you did when that project became his white whale! Really great interview!

Matt Kish said...

Excellent! By the way, is there a link to photos of the mural, or a web site for your husband that I could post a link to? I'd love to see it and hopefully send some of the folks that visit my own web site that way.

Irene said...

Sure thing! Here is Jonathan's website: http://www.jonathanqueen.com/#home and here is a link to the news story about the monumental mural in Cincinnati: http://www.fox19.com/story/19399687/artworks-mural.
Thanks for being willing to share!
-Irene

Matt Kish said...

Irene, that is some BRILLIANT work. I had no idea what to expect, but I was floored by those amazing paintings! Give me a few days to get a few other things posted and I will have something put up soon. Such genius, and so close to my home!

Irene said...

Thanks for the nice compliments, Matt! I'll make sure to pass them along to Jonathan. Thanks again for sharing the links!