Thursday, August 30, 2012

Heart of Darkness: Redux

UPDATE: All of the available art below has been added to my Etsy shop so check in there if you see anything you like. Thanks!

The last few weeks have been exceptionally trying. I've had an extraordinary amount of day job responsibilities, an anniversary, a much needed and long awaited but still time consuming vacation with my wife, an enormous amount of art to create, and even more day job responsibilities.

Unfortunately, I misunderstood several things about the trim size and page dimensions of the upcoming illustrated Heart of Darkness book, so nearly all of the illustrations I'd completed were at the wrong size. A few could be shoehorned in, with some careful cropping, but most of them would have to be recreated entirely. The error was entirely my own and I don't blame anyone at my publisher for this. If anything, they have bent over backwards in trying to find ways to help me make things work and for that I am grateful.

After carefully considering what to do next and re-examining the illustrations I had already created and how these might fit with the new work, I've come to the conclusion that the only proper way forward is for me to simply begin all over again. While that might sound daunting, I relish the challenge and I have actually re-conceptualized my approach to this great novel and how I would like to see it represented in this project. I've completed the first nine illustrations, in only six days, and am working with a renewed passion and vigor. This is actually quite exciting, although there is a great deal of work yet to be completed.

I am no good at leaving loose ends. I like to close things off, properly and neatly. Which means that for my own piece of mind and mental integrity, I am going to sell nearly all of these previous Heart of Darkness illustrations. That will help me to end that chapter of the work and move forward, but honestly, I am using some new and really beautiful inks for the new illustrations and they are quite expensive, so I could really use the funds for art supplies and paper.

All of the available pieces are below, in this post, with the page number, price, media and dimensions. Two have been claimed by my wife, one promised to a friend, but the rest are here. I will have these up and listed in my Etsy shop some time next week, but you get the first view here. If you'd like any of them, send me an email at mattkish87 at gmail and we'll figure out. Paypal works best, but if you like, you can make partial payments over time.

page 001 : claimed
8.75 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 002 : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 003 : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
ink on watercolor paper


page 004: in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 005 : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 006, first version : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 006, second version : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 007 : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint, ink, marker and watercolor on watercolor paper


page 009 : in my Etsy shop
9 inches by 12 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 010 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 012 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 013 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 015 : in my Etsy shop
10.75 inches by 8.25 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 016 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint, ink and pencil on watercolor paper


page 017 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint on watercolor paper


page 018 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 019 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 020 : claimed
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 020 : claimed
7.75 inches by 11 inches
ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 022 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 023 : claimed
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint and ink on watercolor paper


page 024 : claimed
7.75 inches by 11 inches
ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 025 : in my Etsy shop
7.75 inches by 11 inches
acrylic paint, ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 020 : claimed
6.75 inches by 11 inches
ink and marker on watercolor paper


page 027 : in my Etsy shop
6.75 inches by 11 inches
ink on watercolor paper

6 comments:

  1. Duly noted. Thanks Pastor Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, jeez, Matt, what a nightmare. Knowing you, you will make something even better out of the ashes, but I'm sorry all this superb work had to be junked -- it is a very special kind of heartbreak.

    My sympathy in no way prevents me from claiming page 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you RF, it has been a humbling experience. I still struggle with it a bit, but in the end I'll do what I have to do.

    And page 001 is yours. I'll send you some payment info but you can pay whenever. Thanks for giving it a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude, that sucks. Early on, I had problems figuring out proportionally what shrunk down to what format well. They make a proportion wheel, but I could never figure the damn thing out. Since I always had access to some version of photoshop, I used image size as my 'proportion wheel'. I type in the final size (ex. 6 x 9)then mess with either the height or the width till I find a size I'm comfortable with. Well maybe revisiting/reformatting the pages will take the work in a direction that will surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Thomas. It's been pretty rough, honestly. It has been a good opportunity to re-assess the project, and I do like the new direction I am taking. The entire thing feels much more consistent and connected. But there have still been a few stumbling blocks, and I find myself impatient to keep moving forward. I'm just taking it page by page.

    ReplyDelete