Monday, November 26, 2012

(Black) Friday diversions: Nazgul (continued)

So it's Monday, but this is important.

In my last post, Mordicai was kind enough to leave a comment with some additional links to his Flickr account where he had saved a few other really fantastic pieces of Nazgul art. I am going to build on my last post and add them here, with thanks and credit of course to Mordicai.

Eowyn and the Nazgul by Erin Kelso

(I actually found this one myself, I think on Tumblr, but frustratingly - and this is one of the many reasons I am not real fond of Tumblr - I was unable to find any attribution. Finally, I know the artist's name and can link back to her. It's a very well done piece, but I am somehow thrown off a bit by the white mist dominating the center of the composition. I don't think it's working too well for me, which is disappointing because Erin is clearly a gifted artist.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Alejandro Dini

(Again, a good piece with very strong composition, but I am utterly baffled as to why Eowyn is completely naked here. I generally quite like nudity in art, but this time it seems very counter to the aim of the piece. Odd.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Filip Burburan

(Completely over the top, almost ludicrously savage and evil and seemingly heavily influenced by videogames...all of which are big positives to me. A great piece, a lot of fun to look at, and Eowyn does look fierce and courageous here. And the Witch-King's armor is amazing.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Herman Lau

(This says far more about me and my own prejudices than it does about the illustration but this one doesn't work for me at all. Entirely too bizarrely romantic and passive. I don't get it at all.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Micah Farritor

(This is one of the few pieces where I've seen a literal interpretation of Tolkien's description of the Witch-King work very well. I suppose the eyes should be red instead of white, but everything else really does come together to convey a kind of terrifying power. There is a lot of fear in this piece, which makes it strong. At first, Eowyn looking like a child bothered me, but later I began to see how this very aptly shows the effects of the Witch-King's dread gaze on his foes.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Cory Godbey

(I quite like this one. It's got a nice bit of Arthur Rackham to it, but also a decidedly modern style. It's compositionally strong, Eowyn looks fierce and determined and absolutely lethal and the Witch-King actually looks terrifying. Plus, something lacking from many of these [and I have to confess, something I struggle with and usually lose to] is a sense of scale, but Godbey nails that. The fell beast is appropriately huge and the Witch-King is the colossal figure he should be, without being a giant.)


Eowyn and the Nazgul by Jeffrey Alan Love

(Brilliant. Absolutely, perfectly, gorgeously, terrifyingly brilliant. An utterly amazing piece of art. I was floored when I saw this one and I feel like I could probably write an entire post about how much I like it. Just look at it. This is PERFECT.)


Again, thanks to Mordicai for bringing these to my attention. There will be more Nazgul art soon, from my friends and from myself. I hope you like it.

5 comments:

  1. The nudity in the Alejandro Dini I thought was an attempt to capture the nudes of Classical & Neo-Classical art. That was my takeaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. & the "Eowyn and the Nazgul" by Cory Godbey is my favorite of the lot, but you didn't post it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, FIXED in regards to Godbey. Somehow I missed that the first time around. Probably cutting and pasting links too much. Thanks for bringing that up, that's a damn good piece and I'm glad I could include it.

    I think you're right about the Dini piece, it reminded me of "Perseus and Andromeda" by Titian (a theme explored similarly by many others) in terms of the nudity, the luminous quality of the tones, and the elegant but somewhat stilted pose. For me, it just didn't really work though because of the nature of Eowyn's character. Really the only strong female anywhere in the books, although Jackson remedied this somewhat by making Arwen into a force to be reckoned with.

    I never count Galadriel because as mighty as she is, there is something so alien about the elves it is difficult to identify with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fact: Galadriel is my favorite fictional character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The geek in me has always been deeply in love with the name, or even simply the word, Galadriel. Why is she your favorite fictional character though? I mean, aside from being a 7000 year old elf queen and a total badass.

    ReplyDelete