Friday, November 30, 2012

COMMISSIONS: Batman

Did you know I did commissions? Yeah, neither did I. It just never came up before, I guess. But someone asked me to draw something personal for them and offered to pay me for it, so I did it. They wanted Batman, which was kind of tough for me because even though I've read comics most of my life and continue to do so, my passion for superheroes vanished many many years ago. Still, I could see this in my mind, and knew what I wanted to do. It turned out pretty well, I think, and most importantly the person who asked for it liked it a whole lot.

I made it with good, archival inks and trimmed the paper down to 11" by 14" so it would fit in any standard, store-bought frame.

If you'd like me to make something for you, email me at mattkish87 (at) gmail and we can talk about the idea, the size, the media, and price. I apologize, I can't promise anything before Christmas due to the Heart of Darkness commitments but in January I am free.

BATMAN

11 inches by 14 inches
ink on watercolor paper
November 22, 2012


7 comments:

  1. Mordicai, Sam Kieth, Ted McKeever and to a lesser degree Dave McKean have been favorites of mine for a long time and, to a lesser degree, artistic touchstones. My earlier work was marked by a kind of obsessive precision with the pen and ink, and it's only these last few years where I have learned to work rougher and looser like this. But I love it, and I am sure the influence of Kieth and McKeever shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think I should stop using the phrase "to a lesser degree" so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking back over your recent posts it looks like there's a touch of the Nazgul to this particular Batman (?) Anyway, I like it very much indeed:) By the way, I have been v busy lately so must apologise for not letting you know sooner that your pictures arrived safely and I am delighted with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jane, and thanks for letting me know about the art. I always worry about these things falling into the ocean somewhere, as silly as that may sound.

    The Nazgul have been on my mind a lot lately, I think because I am excited about "The Hobbit" and because the simple fantasy of a story like that, with its myth and its clear-cut good and evil story appeals to me after the venom of "Heart of Darkness." So, as "evil" as they may be, these Nazgul are an antidote to that toxin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you read that recent Kieth Batman comic? I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mordicai, wasn't that a recent Arkham Asylum miniseries? With the Mad Hatter or something, right? I have this really (and probably stupidly) odd aversion to Batman comics so no, I haven't read it. Which is strange since I will often buy comics simply for good art, regardless of the story or characters. I should check it out because I love Kieth's work.

    ReplyDelete