Monday, November 26, 2012

Wow! John Coulthart!

I visit John Coulthart's blog Feuilleton a lot. I mean A LOT. So many of my internet image searches led back to his blog that I figured I had to check it out, and I was rewarded with an absolute bonanza of amazing and fantastic imagery, almost all of which seemed to appeal directly to my own personal aesthetic. John is also a brilliant artist and designer and he writes eloquently and articulately about both of these obsessions. Simply put, he is one of my heroes.

So, you can imagine my absolute shock and soaring joy when John briefly mentioned some kind words about my own Moby-Dick art in this blog post. John contributed a suite of illustrations exploring The Picture of Dorian Gray to The Graphic Canon, volume 2, which also contains several of my Moby-Dick illustrations. You really should look at these anthologies, they are big and thick and beautifully designed and remarkable and full of gorgeous art and comics.

Of the work in that volume, John wrote this about my own: "I especially like the Moby-Dick sequence by Matt Kish, a very different take on a very familiar tale." It is difficult to convey to you how thrilling this was, and remains for me.

Feuilleton is a great great blog and an amazing source of visual inspiration. Spend some time there. You won't regret it.

5 comments:

  1. John Coulthart drew my favorite Cthulhu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have seen that, so I did some searching around on his blog and GODDAMN he's drawn quite a few phenomenal Cthulhus. A friend of mine is always telling me I should illustrate "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" and I shy away from that because I'm just not sure. Then I see this and I am simultaneously inspired and terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the one from "Starry Wisdom," in the Cthulhu comic. I for one don't really like the humanoid Cthulhu. In fact, I'm a weird one; I like to see draconic aspects played up in Cthulhu; in the text there is as much "scales" as "tentacles," you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I'd like to see you do Kadath; Gugs & Nightgaunts, for instance, seem right up in your artistic balliwick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I was able to track it down that way and it was amazing. I agree on the humanoid Cthulhu representations. I think of that as really lazy and pedestrian. The more unsettling, non-human and monstrous the better. I will have to go back and re-read some of those tales though, I am not sure I remember much mention of scales (although I don't doubt you for a moment). It's been a while, they are due for a revisit.

    I kind of feel like I've been drawing Gug-like things for years now. I remember being blown away when I first read about them and their bizarre vertical mouths. There's a lot of that in my work.

    ReplyDelete