Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"AHAB the movie" print

One of the many high points of last weekend's thrilling trip to the New Bedford Whaling Museum for the Moby-Dick Marathon was finally meeting filmmaker / director Brian Holton and his partner and co-producer April. Brian is putting the finishing touches on his film AHAB the movie and I believe he intends on setting up some spring screenings. I will keep you posted.

Brian was kind enough to invite me to create some art for a film poster for his film, a task I was glad to set my hand to. I knew fairly early what I wanted to create so the piece flowed very naturally. I was under the impression that Brian was going to have these digitally printed, on cheap slick paper, like most of the posters you see in stores, but the actual facts are far more exciting. Brian went all out on these, screenprinting them on gorgeous, thick, creamy rag paper with deckled edges in a professional print shop. The results are just stunning, and seeing a piece of my own art paired with this intriguing film printed by hand, so lovingly and with such care, was honestly as exciting as seeing my own book come out. This is just a really great piece of work and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Brian printed only 80 of these, and he brought them to the Marathon so that he and I could sign them all, like a proper run of prints. Best yet, these are finally available for sale at their web store Technicolor Coffin for only $30 plus $5 shipping. And they are worth every penny and more. Here are some photos, including a few close-ups, to show you the quality of these prints. If you've ever wanted a piece of my art but missed out in the past, this will be your best chance for some time. And you will be supporting an important and unique voice in independent film.

First, the print itself. The light in this one is a bit dim, but it gives you a good general idea. The inks Brian used for the print are of great quality, with deep bright reds and heavy saturated blacks.


The lower left corner, with my signature and Brian's as well as the date. Again, look at that paper. Gorgeous!


The lower right corner, showing the edition size and the numbers.


And finally a close-up of the central image, showing how the art was printed. I love how you can see some of the screen resolution in the way that the red and black washes registered.


The total size is something like 11 inches by 17 inches, so it's big enough to be a powerful presence on your wall but not so huge that it will cost a fortune to frame. I rarely get this "salesman-y" and beat the drum for people to buy something, but I am being totally honest when I say that this really is a stunningly beautiful, high quality, and very affordably priced print. Get one. Right here. You really won't regret it.

No comments: