Monday, January 17, 2011

MOBY-DICK, Page 526

Title: Through and through; through every plank and each rib, it thrilled for an instant, the whale obliquely lying on his back, in the manner of a biting shark, slowly and feelingly taking its bows full within his mouth, so that the long, narrow, scrolled lower jaw curled high up into the open air...

6 inches by 9 inches
acrylic paint on found paper
January 3, 2011


  1. Horror just out of sight, hidden in the mist.

  2. I was so worried about this one. It gave me fits! There is an incredible illustration in my Big Little "Moby-Dick" book of the whale's jaw looming up from the dark water below as Ahab looks down on it. I simply couldn't get that image out of my brain, but I also knew I couldn't just re-draw it because that would be cheating. This image here came out of a sense of mad desperation, just pushing wet paint around and around until the shapes resolved themselves. I do think it turned out really well though, and I was so grateful to finally be done with it.

  3. Thank you very much Bill. Working this loosely, and with paint, is still something very very new to me. Thankfully, I seem to be having at least a bit of success with it.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.